How to: ‘financially’ prepare for a partner visa application


Although the world is far less interconnected than it was prior to the coronavirus pandemic, with restrictions on international flights and travel, many were lucky enough to have their overseas partner already living with them in Australia. To remain in the country permanently, the international partner is required to hold a permanent partner visa. It’s only applicable for those who already hold a temporary partner visa and are married or a partner of an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen. As with most things, this visa comes with a cost and getting one can be a lengthy and expensive process.

What can one do with a permanent partner visa?

There are varying reasons one would apply for a partner visa such as to live, work or study in Australia indefinitely, enrol in public healthcare (Medicare), travel back and forth to Australia, attend free English language classes by the Adult Migrant English Program and then eventually, if eligible, apply for Australian citizenship.

What details are required?

The Australian partner visa application requires that both the applicant and sponsor provide evidence of the relationship by showing the financial and social aspects of the relationship, the nature of their commitment to each other and the nature of the household.

The financial aspect is displaying how you and your partner manage finances. Below we give you the run-down on detailing the financial aspects of the relationship for your application.

  1. Assets

It would be expected that you and your partner share finances and assets when applying for a partner visa. If you own a home together or any properties, you must provide documentation as evidence of this. If the property you own is overseas, then make sure that any of your evidence that you’re providing is in English. In your statutory declarations, you can explain what percentage of the property you own if it isn’t an equal share, as well as any other expensive assets, such as a car or caravan.

  1. Debt

If you have joint debt, then you and your partner have what’s referred to as joint liability. For many. this may come in the form of your mortgage or paying off the finance on your joint credit card or vehicle.

  1. Pooling

If you have a joint bank account with your partner where you both pool your money and add to that with each payslip, then you’re pooling your resources. You will likely need to show evidence of bank account statements detailing the incomings and outgoings as well as evidence of active use for a reasonable period of time.

  1. Household Bills

You may be required to show payment and receipts for expenses including household items and appliances to evidence that you share the financial load of your joint living expenses. These documents could include your joint lease agreement, joint utilities accounts such as electricity, phone and gas and combined rent payments.

The financial aspect of a partner visa is only one part of the application. You’ll also have to compile documents that show:

  • The social aspects of your relationship (written statements and statutory declarations from family and friends that know both you and your partner, evidence of joint memberships or subscriptions, joint activities you’ve both done together, past travel together and evidence of attending events together such as birthdays or weddings.)
  • The nature of your commitment (answers to the length of your relationship, the extent of companionship provided to one another, knowledge of each other’s personal lives, such as family background and evidence that you have maintained contact when you have been physically apart.)
  • Additional documents (a marriage certificate if applicable or a relationship registration.)


Be on the list that gets you from A to B. Want a holiday? Want to buy a
property? Want to know how to retire a millionaire? This is the first step...